5 May 1915. The Monument to the Thousand between myth and propaganda

The last section of the exhibition ends with the room titled “5 May 1915. The Monument to the Thousand between myth and propaganda”, which chronicles the history of the monument itself and its inauguration, through the artistic and documentary evidence from the collections of the Istituto Mazziniano and the Museum of the Risorgimento. It was opened on 5 May 2010, on the occasion of the presentation of the restoration of the Monument to the Thousand of Quarto by Eugenio Baroni as part of the celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the Expedition. The room exhibits the plaster model of the monument by Baroni, realised between 1909 and 1910, as well as the sketch of the poster for its inauguration and the wooden painting by Plinio Nomellini, and the autograph manuscript of the “Orazione per la Sagra dei Mille” (prayer to the feast of the thousand) by Gabriele D’Annunzio.