Description

Since Roman times, the Valbisagno has “donated” the water to the city of Genoa, fundamentally providing for the life of its inhabitants, the activities of mills and factories, and the supply of ships.

The history of the aqueduct is that of a civilisation that gave birth to very great architects and engineers, such as Claudio Storace, Matteo Vinzoni, and Carlo Barabino. .
 
 In 1275 the starting point of the existing aqueduct was moved upstream in the hamlet of Trensasco and the new branch was realised by Marin Boccanegra, of the family of the captain of the people Guglielmo. Water scarcity in 1491 led to the creation of a water magistrate, that prepared a master plan to increase the resources, first on the existing branch, then by extension from Trensasco to the hamlet of La Presa di Bargagli, as decided in 1623 and realised in few years.

Some stretches of the oldest historical aqueduct are still preserved in the Val Bisagno, with a series of bridges and arches starting from the Davagna mills, through Struppa Molassana, San Gottardo and Preli, to the remains in the area of Staglieno, which had been interrupted by the construction of the motorway.

The beginning of the aqueduct in the city corresponded with the initial path of the Circonvallazione bypass, in the Piazza Manin.
As soon as it began operation in 1641, the “turn” of the Geirato had serious stability problems. Hence, around 1650 G. B. Costanzo proposed to abandon the “turn”. On 16 January 1660, the magistrate decided for the construction of the Geirato syphon bridge.


In 1825 under the direction of Carlo Barabino, also the waters of the stream Rio Torbido were captured. Carlo Barabino realised a syphon bridge crossing the valley of the Veilino, bypassing the monumental cemetery of Staglieno with few arches, on which the pipeline runs in steep descent and ascent, crossing the long path of the previous medieval aqueduct. The syphon bridge supplied Genoa for over a century; then, the greater need of water of the newborn great Genoa shift the general focus onto the high Valpolcevera valley and the water of the Gorzente.