The Exhibition

The Museum is a single magnificent space with a rectangular hall on the ground floor and six projecting galleries on the two long walls, connected by flights of stairs on a continuous path.
In 1967, the arrangement of the exhibition was entrusted to engineer Luciano Grossi Bianchi, in collaboration with Giuliano Frabetti, Director of the Chiossone Museum between 1956–1990, and Caterina Marcenaro (Genoa, 1906-1976), Director of the Sector Fine Arts of the Municipality of Genoa.
Inaugurated on 7 May 1971, and since then regularly open to the public, the museum has maintained the same construction until February 1998. On the centenary of the death of Edoardo Chiossone on 11 April 1998, the permanent exhibition was completely renovated, to also include new didactic and descriptive devices.
The new exhibition chronicles the main events of the history of Japan’s artistic culture and its relations with Continental East Asia: Antiquity, the advent and evolution of metallurgy, Buddhism, the samurai civilisation, and the development of decorative arts in the Edo period (1600-1868) are the main topics sorted by theme and technique, so as to highlight the disciplinary and aesthetic systems of the various arts against the wider historical and cultural background. Because of their great beauty, as well as cultural and communicative effectiveness, the stands on the great Buddhist sculpture and armours (located in the main ground-floor hall and in the fifth-floor gallery, respectively) have remained virtually unchanged.
In 2001, thanks to the specific contribution of the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio Genova e Imperia, the two galleries on the upper floors have been refurbished and fitted with innovative installations, to house rotating temporary exhibitions of the museum’s treasure.

History of China

History of Japan