Fort Crocetta

Originally, on the area occupied by the Fort stood a small convent of the Augustinian Fathers (1609) and the church of the Holy Cross. In 1747 the monastery was completely surrounded by the Genoese trenches.
It is likely that, in the first months of 1815, the British strengthened the old monastery with artillery. Around 1818, the Royal Corps of Engineers of Sardinia started the total demolition of the old monastery and the first construction phase of the Fort Crocetta: the works lasted roughly until 1826.
This early fortress had a single floor. However, the construction was not completed due to the changes made to the project, which consisted in the excavation of a broad and deep moat, and the raising of the bastioned front, resulting in the inclusion of an additional floor in the northern semi-bastion. This second phase began in 1827 and ended around 1830.
In 1849, citizens and insurgents captured by the Piedmontese troops in the surrounding areas were incarcerated here.
After the army left in 1914, the fort was inhabited several times until 1961. Today some privates, who reside opposite in the former city toll house, prevent access to stragglers and vandals.
On the parapet of the barracks, the splayed loopholes and gunners, levelled during World War II with the demolition of about 5 ft of the wall, can still be seen; the masonry abutment, mistakenly identified as a battlement, is actually the only evidence of the original height of the parapet. The interior consists of a courtyard from which the various services branch off.

  • Fort Crocetta
  • Fort Crocetta - old photo
  • Fort Crocetta - planimetry