Fort Diamante

The Fort was named after the Mount Diamante, on the top of which it was built.
Based on several records, it is assumed that once on the hill was a Bastita, which some identify with that of the Pino. Its purpose was to control the valleys of the Polcevera and Bisagno, potential access roads for the armies of attackers, and the road connecting the two.
The exact date of the destruction of the ancient fortress is unknown, but it can certainly be traced back to after 1507.
In 1747, the top of the hill was occupied by a star-shaped redoubt, realised by the Genoese. Clumsily left unguarded, it was occupied by the Austrians on the evening of 12 April.
The first project of the Fort, dated August 1747 and signed by Sicre, was not feasible because it only suited a flat surface, rather than the hilltop. The project was thus amended, but the construction was interrupted after the Peace of Aachen.
In 1756, the work was funded by the Durazzo family with a donation of 50,000 lire. Work began in the summer of that year. On 17 June 1758, the construction was not yet complete, as confirmed by an anonymous author; however, according to most scholars, it was completed within the same year.
More likely, the works were completed between 1758 and 1796, as it is impossible that the Fort was fully built and operational within just two years, between 1756 and 1758.
On 13 September 1758, upon the decision of the Government of the Republic, a plaque was placed at the entrance of the fort, in memory of the donation made by the Durazzo family. Unfortunately, the plaque is no longer there.
In the siege of 1800, the fort was in the hands of the 41st French Demi-Brigade, commanded by Chief of Battalion Bertrand. On 30 April, the Austrians, who had come to the Due Fratelli under the command of Lieutenant General Count of Hohenzollern, threatened and surrounded the Fort. The guns of the fort fired on the attackers; the villages of Campi, Camporsella, Torrazza and Trensasco were targeted and bombed, as they were the quarters of enemy troops. Many families still keep at home the cannon balls fired on that day. .

The completion and transformation works were implemented after 1814, under the direction of the Royal Corps of Engineers of Sardinia. The barracks originally had a pitched slate roof. After the annexation, the top was turned into a terrace. With the modification of the roof, the pilasters that characterise the barracks were added on the main front and on the north side. A tower with a spiral staircase inside was built to reach the terrace.
During the uprisings of 1849, the Fort was manned by volunteers, who fired only a few times against the Piedmontese troops that passed out of range. The last historical event of some significance dates back to 29 June 1857, when a group of Mazzinian insurgents seized the fort with a surprise attack during the night, but left soon after because the uprising in the city had failed.
At the end of the 19th century, it was planned to demolish the barracks and replace them with a battery for howitzers or dome pieces. Fortunately, the proposal was not accepted. The complex was finally abandoned in 1914.
The entrance, located on the ramparts at the base of the barracks and originally surmounted by the Savoy coat of arms, had a drawbridge. The outer wall follows and protects the covered walkway. Above the entrance of one of the two rooms on the ground floor, 19th-century signs can still be seen. The pavement of the terrace, which has now been reduced to a meadow, was originally tiled brick. Embrasures were protected by movable iron grates. Most of the metal structures were removed at the end of WWII.
In the 2000s, the Fort underwent partial restoration.


  • Fort Diamante
  • Fort Diamante - old photo
  • Forte Diamante - planimetry