Historical background

Opened in 1985, the Museum of Contemporary Art of Genoa is housed in the Villa Croce, a 19th-century building in neoclassic style, donated to the Municipality by the Croce family in 1952 to be turned into a museum, in a park overlooking the waterfront of Genoa’s fair ground.

The ground floor, tempera decorated in the typical eclectic taste of the late 19th century, features the public reception services: reception, bookshop, conference room and specialised library. The first floor houses temporary exhibitions; the second floor has a mixed function, with the display of both permanent collections and temporary exhibitions.

The Museum of Villa Croce runs an annual program of temporary exhibitions, primarily devoted to contemporary research in the strict sense, as well as incursions into the neighbouring territories of music, film, theatre, and literature.

In addition, the museum hosts historical exhibitions dedicated to great characters, movements, situations which have deeply marked the evolution of artistic research, on the one hand, and other projects for the promotion of artistic research by emerging artists, on the other. The permanent collection (approx. 5,000 works) currently includes works, often site-specific, which have been acquired for the exhibitions produced over the years, as well as its historic cores, such as the abstract art collection of Maria Cernuschi Ghiringhelli, and works of Genoese and Ligurian artists.

A specialised library within the museum itself is open to the public, with over 25,000 publications including books, exhibition catalogues, and journals.