History of the building

Palazzo Rosso was built between 1671 and 1677. It was designed by architect Pietro Antonio Corradi, while the construction was overseen by Matteo Lagomaggiore. The building has a U-shaped footprint, inspired by the plan types used by Bartolomeo Bianco: the two wings joined by loggias, enclosing the inner square courtyard. Both main floors, the piani nobili, have the typical layout featuring a loggia and the big hall in an axial position and a row of rooms on each side. The eldest son, Ridolfo Maria, occupied the second floor, while the first was given to Gio. Francesco. However, when Ridolfo died without male heirs in 1683, the younger brother became sole owner and moved up to the second floor. He bought the portraits of his parents from his niece Paola, the wife of Carlo Spinola, and commissioned fresco decorations for the second-floor rooms, also making allowances for their extension beyond the east wing, which was completed after his death, to all the other rooms on the mezzanine.

>> Find out more



                   




  • Palazzo Rosso
  • Palazzo Rosso Atrium