Museum

The first Museum of the Risorgimento was opened in the Palazzo Bianco in Via Garibaldi on 5 May 1915, on the same day that D’Annunzio harangued the crowd with a passionate speech from the cliffs of Quarto.
Mazzini’s birthplace was already housing the “Sacrario”, a shrine with relics and documents of the great exile. The new Museum is dedicated to the Risorgimento, from the Balilla youth group to Roma becoming the capital of Italy. It is located on the top floor of the Palazzo Bianco, which back then was the Museum of the city. Alongside the picture gallery, there were late Roman and medieval archaeological finds, and a Colombian room, which was then turned into a naval room, and an armoury. The period of the Risorgimento thus completed the broad historical and artistic landscape of the city of Genoa.
The curator of the Museum of the Risorgimento in the Palazzo Bianco was historian Achille Neri. In 1934, the Museum was transferred in Via Lomellini, and became one of the components of the Istituto Mazziniano, together with the archive and the library.

The Museum today
Today, the exhibition is arranged along 950 ft on the walls of the museum, for a total length of 2300 linear ft including the panels located in the centre of each room. The range of pieces on display is very diverse. In total, more than 900 units are exhibited, including paintings, prints, posters, flags, handkerchiefs, weapons, uniforms and various memorabilia.
The exhibition follows a chronological journey from the age of the Balilla to 5 May 1915. The heart of the exhibition coincides with the historical “shrine” to Mazzini, housed in the apartment once inhabited by his family, around which the section dedicated to Giuseppe Mazzini and his work is developed, representing the highest ideals of the Italian Risorgimento.
 
  • Hall
  • Hall/2