Click here to view image
In response to continuous damage caused by the thunders and by the military approaching in 1771, the tower was chained up with bolts and tie-rods, which are still visible today from the interior.
At the same time some engraved plaques were put up on the tower, to protect the lighthouse on its four sides, above the first panoramic balcony: they are still visible to visitors.
In 1778, the lanterna was equipped with lightening conductor, which was created by the physic P.G. Sanxsais, and, in 1791, consolidation works were made at the first tower’s base to make it more solid.