The Museum of the Treasure

The Museum designed to house the treasures of the St. Lorenzo Cathedral was created in 1956 based on a design by the architect Franco Albini (previously the works of art that compose it were stored in three cupboards in the sacristy). The new museum space, created under the archbishop's courtyard, consists of an entrance room, a central connecting room and four circular rooms of different diameters. Albini sought to evoke ancient spaces, and in particular the Mycenaean tombs, conceiving the space according to the works they would hold: examples of goldsmith's art and exceptional works of sacred art of great historical and devotional value.

It was an absolute novelty both architecturally and in terms of museum design, aimed at an enhanced appreciation of the works of art, which are put in almost direct contact with the visitors, providing the possibility of a greater and more complete cultural appreciation.