Click here to view image
Genoese silversmith based on a design by Francesco Maria Schiaffino, 1747 - 1748
Silver, 194 x 78 x 46 cm
St. Lawrence Cathedral's Treasure Museum
Genoa, St. Lawrence Cathedral
The statue was ordered between 1747 and 1748 by seven Genoese gentlemen, recently admitted to be part of the patriciate of the Republic, as a gift to the then presiding doge, Giovan Francesco Brignole-Sale, whose actions had played a considerable role in the expulsion of the Austrian troops who had occupied Genoa in 1746. At the end of his mandate Brignole donated it to the cathedral with the intention that each year it would be carried in procession on December 8th, a tradition that was carried on until the time of the Revolution.