Click here to view image
Genoa, 1st century B.C.
Bronze, 37.5 x 47.5 cm
Pedemonte di Serra Riccò, Valpolcevera, Genoa, 1506
This is the oldest legal document concerning the Ligurians and Genoa. This famous, important metal inscription was discovered in 1506 in Serra Riccò, in Val Polcevera, inland from Genoa. It bears the sentence in Latin handed down in 117 BC by two Roman magistrates, the Minucio brothers, ratified by the Senate of Rome, regarding the territories under the control of Genoa in the Val Polcevera. The text describes the boundaries and agro-pastoral activities allowed to the Viturii Langenses, the Ligurian tribe of the Val Polcevera, and also gives important information about the route of the Via Postumia which crossed the area, connecting Genoa with the Po Valley and extending east to the Adriatic.
For many years the document was emblematic of Genoa's ancient origins and was kept in the city’s government offices until the ‘90s, when it was moved from the Mayor's office to the Museum of Ligurian Archaeology.