The “Porta Nuova”

The Lanterna’s “New Gate”

Click here to view image

The ramparts defended the “Porta Nuova”, completed in 1831 to replace the 17th century one, which led to Genoa from the west. This imposing gate has been removed from its original location, now placed against the fortifications inside the park. The gate was built by the will of King Carlo Felice and its frieze decorations recall the façade of Genoa’s Opera Theatre, named after the same king.