Click here to view image
Antonio Semino (Genoa, about 1485 - 1555)
Oil on panel, 199 x 146 cm
Inv. no. 54
Donation Cavalier Giovanni Quartara, 1836
Painted between 1532 and 1535 for the chapel of San Gerolamo in the Genoa church of San Domenico, the altarpiece originally included a predella with four Mysteries of the Passion and was enclosed in a lavish architectural frame of carved gilded wood. The work shows a consideration of the Flemish works present in the city, particularly the “Deposition” painted by Jos Van Cleve for the church of Santa Maria della Pace, now at the Louvre, and a knowledge of the new approaches in 16th-century painting which had recently reached Genova.