Piazza De Ferrari

Today, not even a place name remains of the San Domenico convent complex, demolished for the construction of the Carlo Felice theatre (1828) and the Palazzo dell’Accademia (1831) to a design by architect Carlo Barabino. This work provided the city with a new landmark square, in the centre of which a monument to Garibaldi by Augusto Rivalta was erected in 1894. Subsequent urban development works and the creation of the new square in the 1900s, with the construction of the Palazzo della Nuova Borsa and the Palazzo della Navigazione Generale Italiana (now seat of the Regione Liguria), profoundly altered the original Barabino layout.