The Palazzo dell'Accademia

The building housing the Museum was built to the design of municipal architect Carlo Barabino in 1826, on the area once occupied by the convent adjacent to the 14th-century church of San Domenico. Its austere neoclassical façade was intended to blend in with the lines of the neighbouring Opera House, built to a design by the same architect in 1828.

The building's interior magnificence is today certainly diminished by the demolition of the “Rotonda”, originally visually connected to the staircase by a large archway.